Sunday, August 13, 2006

Hot Shots Part Duex

Trigger was last night at 11:30. Sooo, retrieval is Monday. I think we're pushing it by delaying trigger, but the clinic knew about the whole sunday/no practice thing, so what's the point of triggering when there's no sperm. I took half the hcg i had last time because the estrodial and stuff was that high. I dont know what it was because dh took the message and didnt get that bit of info.

Anyway, we had a discussion with the fertility clinic about the whole third-person-must-transfer-tissue issue. Dh feels uncomfortable about having me waiting at the clinic like a sitting duck to find out that the cycle has been cancelled again. Apparently, dh is not quite over the first ivf cancellation and watching me one moment excited and happy and the next shattered. If that were to happen again, dh doesnt want me alone (without him) at the ivf clinic. So we asked the clinic if i could stay at the hospital during the fresh tese and if they were to find any, then i could bring it over myself to the ivf clinic. The clinic will not do anything to me, no retrieval or anything, unless and until they have the specimen. So why cant i just bring it myself?

The reason is because it puts a lot of stress on the staff to do things out of protocol. The nurse said that the prep time for me will be rushed. The last ivf i was preped in under 10 minutes and i waited 3 hours in a hospital gown and room to find out that the ivf was cancelled. So, i'd rather be "rushed," than suffer through that again. And, frankly, the staff should carry the burden of any extra stress the situation calls, not me. This is their business. But then i just found out that they only two do about 2 fresh teses a year! This clinic is pretty big, with offices all over. It's no small shop operation. But, they said, most people go with frozen sperm and then back up donor, instead of a fresh.

The thing is, the surgery for dh is at 7:30 am. The urologist cannot tell how long it will take (it is afterall a fishing expedition) but generalized an hour to an hour and half. Let's say then that i have the tissue by 9am. The clinic is less than 10 minutes away. Let's say i get there by 9:30. My retrieval isn't until 11:30. What happens to the tissue in that time? Will it live that long???

Oh well, so retrieval is scheduled for tomorrow, Monday, if they find sperm. If not, the cycle is cancelled. That's my news.

Kris, that site exactly the one! I think dh will get a kick out of it. Please send it.

10 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get why you can't do that either. It makes perfect sense to me. However things end up happening I really, really hope that the TESE will result in a good haul of sperm and that your ER will go well. Good luck!!!

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really doesn't make sense that you can't take it to them.
Good luck for Monday- look forward to hearing good news!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Good luck tomorrow to you and your hubby. I hope that you get some great eggs and he gets lots of sperm from his TESE. I'll be thinking of you!

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Oh, Good luck, Fertile Soul. I really really mean that. I hope they find the buggers. xx

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger NikkiM said...

Fishing expedition - jeeezus, I'm in my very first ICSI/IVF cycle for MF and that's exactly what they'll be doingon Sept 14th :( fishing... Maybe I shoul bring some bait for the MD or something. Holey kamoley man... I'll be coming back for an update soon - thanks for being on the blog. It's a great reality check to have someone else who's going through what we are. thanks.

I really really wish for you that they find the sucekrs and that they STICK!! I'm hoping ofr great news ;)

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger BigP's Heather said...

I'm thinking about you...

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

Wishing you all that luck you didn't have the first time around!

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Kris said...

I have everything I possibly can cross crossed for you. And lots of prayers headed your way.

http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/science/thermodynamics.html

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Summer said...

I just wanted to wish you luck today.

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope things went well today...fingers are crossed for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home