Friday, July 07, 2006

Scene of the Crime

I had an appt for day 3 bloodwork and ultrasound at 7:45 am. Actually, i dont mind the early morning. I prefer it. Freakish, i know. I'm like the anti-vampire. I guess that means i human, huh? Get it ... anti-vampire?

Ay yay yay. i know, my humor's off. So what's new? I went in to the fertility clinic with the same bright, excited, eager attitude that i always had before, but then it slowly started to hit me. The last time i was there was the day we were told to go home without retrieval, the day ivf1 was cancelled. Slowly, i didnt feel so eager anymore. I felt shell-shocked. The scene of the crime. The nurse is talking to me and it's like she's speaking through walls, i cant hear her, i'm dazed. I'm Liz, your ultrasound nurse, dont you remember me, Liz? I was here just a few months ago?--i think to myself, but she does not respond. She does not read minds. ...undress from the waist down, you can keep your skirt on, the bathroom is occupied, oh, but it's empty now, you can go in. I know what she's saying, but i'm too slow to respond. I nod mutely ... not the usual chipper self at all.

Here we go again. I hope this one is a success. I want my chipper self back. I was dazed and confused, caught in a time warp, trapped at the scene of the crime.

Later, I waited all day for the nurse to call with "instructions." She says i can start bcp sunday ... SUNDAY?! What's that about? I thought today. I called her back and left 2 messages like the frantic dork that i am. "Um, hello, Jessica, I got your message, and i was wondering, did you say Sunday? Cuz i thought tonight. Also, how were my prolactin levels? And you wanted me to consult with the good doctor? When? Um, please call me back, k?" A few minutes later ... "Jessica, hi, it's me again, when you get this message please dont hang up. Um, but, is it ok that the consult with the good doctor is for july 20? And, i was wondering about the bcp, so call me back..."

I waited all day for her to call me back (she calls back after lunch, but it felt like ALL DAY):

Me: hello
Nurse: this is the good doctor's nurse
Me: (OH MY GOD, THANK GOD YOU CALLED ME BACK) Yeah, hi.
Nurse: I got your message. You can take bcp today or sunday. It doesnt really matter.
Me: Ok, wont it delay matters if i take it sunday?
Nurse: I suppose, only by a day.
Me: ok, good, I'm takin them today.
Nurse: That's fine.
Me: Will it upset any scheduling of retrieval? Will it matter?
Nurse: You can always start a new pack of bcp if we need a few extra days to coordinate all the schedules.
Me: Ok, great. And what about the prolactin?
Nurse: For some reason, we ordered a progesterone test. No prolactin level was taken.
Me: Oh.
Nurse: You can have it done when you come in for the consult.
Me: No problem
Nurse: Any other questions.
Me: Um, (thank you, thankyouthankyouthankyou for calling me back. I'm so relieved i could cry.) Well, (i love you) No, i think that's it (but what's your home address so i can send you a big thank you gift and what do you like?).
Nurse: Alrightee, then

So this was the first day of ivf2. I'm emotionally batty and i havent even started the drugs yet.

Let the good times roll.

6 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Oy. I'm sorry this is such a rollercoaster. One day at a time.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Meg said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Meg said...

FS - that was me. Just because I made a thoughtless comment and I wanted it GONE. Wishing good things for you.

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger StellaNova said...

I hope this is the one for you. It's funny how a 'good nurse' can become a shining light in all of this darkness. I have my own 'saints' and I love them too. Good luck for this cycle.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Kris said...

I can't even express how much I'm hoping this cycle works for you. Sorry about the rough trip back to the RE's. And good luck from here on in.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Wishing 4 One said...

I'm so excited for you- IVF2 woo hoo! As you know, I will start in August ...the adventure begins yet again.

The good nurse is so deserving, we all have our good nurses, they don't even know how good they become to us...

You know I LOVE your writing style makes me laugh and cry all the time!

Hugs to you and sending you good vibes for a succesful second round. **ding ding**

 

Post a Comment

<< Home