Monday, June 19, 2006

Pissed Off And It's Not Fertility Related!

I'm just a little pissed off today. I decided to take the day off. What's wrong with that, huh? My boss emailed, asking for an explanation. Um, like, what's there to explain? It's a day off, you gave it to me, i took it. It's not like my boss would miss me. It's not like my boss even SEES me on a daily basis to notice. Heck, if i hadn't said anything, he might not have even noticed.

Anyway, i'm just a little aggravated. I guess what bugged me was that the boss said that he's been "lenient" with me and trusting. WTF???? I work overtime, i take my work home, i work it on the train, i come in on weekends, and even now, i'm workin on my vacation day. So, pleeze boss, your leniency has been matched in quadruplicate.

And now, of course, i'm wondering, was that wrong? Mind you, my other boss (who got promoted beyond my ranks, sniff, sniff) never gave a rat's ass as to when you took your alloted time off.

So then, naturally, here i am stewing and feeling guilty about having taken the time off. My precious little time. I'm just so backed up in the house, yanno? I want to wake up in the morning and be able to find an underwear, without having to dig through loads of clean laundry. Is that too much to ask!

I should just get back to the housework. Having the house in order and not nagging me EVERY.SINGLE.DAY will really be a load of stress off my mind. I fell a little behind because i've been giving extra attention to my novel lately. Yeah, we're back in the game, so MOVE OVER Nora Roberts.

Anyway, was i wrong? Should i feel bad? No, i shouldnt, the more i think about it. My boss was just trying to cover his ass, worried that his boss would come down on him. He even said so in the email, telling me "[i] put [him] in a bind"--not about the day off, but about having to go out of town for settlement conference we just found out about. Hey, that's not my fault. WE JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT IT. Yes, it's last minute. But, he says "it reflects poorly on [my] planning" and then puts "him in a bind." Actually, the only problem is that it puts him in a bind, given that we had very little notice about it. So, the fact that short notice travel puts him in a bind is his problemo, not mine. But of course, i should get blamed for it, right?

Ok, but in the end, the settlement conference (and travel plans) was cancelled, so that should mean that he's no longer in "a bind." But somehow, i doubt that. He's the uptight, micro-managing sort. He needs to be in a bind to survive.

My question is, how do you get on the good side of a character like that (assuming that it doesnt involve any fakey, kiss ass, brown nosing stuff. I cant stand that!)? Because, now, suddenly, i feel like i'm going to have a little hell to pay when i go back tomorrow.

9 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger Donna said...

I'm not sure it's necessary to be on his good side, your only obligation is to your work and to be professional with him and your colleagues. I hate being an adult sometimes.

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, "Fertile soul." The Boss here. I just happened to enjoy reading blogs about fertility and finally figured out who you are. So what gives? Why pick on my like this? I'm just trying to do my job and look good before "my" boss. I can care less how this affects the underlings beneath me. It's all about me. Isn't that the postmodern world after all? I didn't invent it. I just absorb it and go with it. It's all about me. And then me, followed by me. So relax a bit. Ok, see you at work.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Fertile Soul said...

Ha ha, funny anonymous. If only my boss were really as even keeled as you sound, but my boss would never care enough to say, relax or "see you at work." Ha! as if.

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Donna, it sucks being a grown up! But she's right, you don't have to be on his good side or get caught up in his micro-managing nitpicking, so just smile and nod and clench your teeth, remain professional and when the door shuts stick your tongue out at him and make 'up yours' signs!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Fertile Soul said...

Ok, but, what about my review, for which he is responsible? My raise depends on his good word. I know, i know, you're both right, i shouldn't sweat the word of a weasly micro-manager, who's trying to blame me for his bind. But still, why cant we all just get along, i say?!

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger avonlea said...

I don't know how you deal with someone who doesn't take responsibility for himself - that's what it sounds like to me anyway. I've worked for micromanagers before (notice I used past tense) I wish I had good advice for you.

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Hi Fertile Soul - Firstly, I think it's pretty out of line for your boss to email you, but hey. Know what I would do? Just try to forget about it. Just mindlessly apologise and get on with things. You say you're doing everything you need to be, and that some things have been out of your control, so what else can you do? These types of people (there's one in my workplace too)are best to just ignore as much as possible. And don't feel guilty about taking time to write. That's far more important than a crap job,in my opinion (and you'll have to do as I say not as I do here *SIGH*)

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My understanding is that it is illegal for an employer to ask you why you are off unless you are off for three consecutive days (this is at least the case in California). Just some info. The hard part is that your boss does do your perf eval that your raise is based on. Not a fun situation your boss put you in. Sorry.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Kris said...

How'd things go the next day? Sorry I don't have any boss related advice. I've only had one truly lousy one, and I should have sued him for harassment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home