Sunday, June 25, 2006

Blekh ... Not Quite Blah, Not Quite Ick

I'm feeling all sorts of down today. What caused this spiral into the abysss, you ask? It wasn't the show down with the boss and it wasnt the semi-truck our train hit, it was the block party we had yesterday, where my mother decided that she would attend with her grandkids. Isnt that odd? It bugged me from the moment she invited herself. The block party was supposed to be a chance for everyone to meet everyone, since we all just kinda sorta moved in in the last couple of years. I did not want the added burden of hosting my family (who live a half hour away and rarely visit) nor did i feel like playing with little kids, thank you.

But, i shined off my dimples and put on my best smile, regardless. Overall, it was a nice event but everyone i met asked me if i had any kids. I expected that, block parties are usually kidcentric. But still, it set me off kilter a little.

What pushed me off kilter completely was that my mom couldnt remember the year i was born. "1977?" No, 1973. ... "Oh, ok." Five seconds later "So, 1977 you said?" No, i was not born in the same year as my sister. Glad to know her birth year left an indelible mark on your memory, but mine was so unremarkable as to be forgotten within the span of five seconds.

Ouch. That hurts. Did i mention that my sister and sister in law are pregnant. Good for them. But dont come over, k?

Leave me alone in my world. I'd rather be in a train sitting in a pond of diesel than ever have that conversation with my mother again.

Man, i'm so angry today. Why? And i'm so de-spirited. I dont feel like doing ANYTHING. I dont feel like reading or watching tv. I feel awfully snarky. I just finished a book that's total crap. I feel like writing the author a letter explaining to her how her book could have been so much better if she trusted the story more, stayed with the core plot, instead of adding ridiculous twists at the end, the emotionality of which she never kept up with. If you cant keep up with the emotionality of your plot, then your plot sucks because it's just stupid action scene after action scene and who cares anymore.

But then again SHE'S published and i'm sitting here wondering why my mom cant remember 1973. So, ultimately i suck.

I wish i could just take a good nap and sleep this blekh away.

7 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Do you know, I open books and look at the author's birth year and if it is the same as / after mine I will not read the book. Well, I am exaggerating a little, but it's half true. Know where you're coming from. I hope tomorrow brings less bleckness for you. xx

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Meg said...

PS. You're tagged by me for some diversionary meme fun. :)

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Donna said...

You're entitled to a couple of blekh days without explanation. I hope you found something to lift your spirits a little (maybe some spirits would help?).

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Wishing 4 One said...

I always hated block parties, too many braty kids and soccer moms, although I wouldn't mind being one someday I guess, a tailored, toned down one anyway....
Don't feel bad, my dad does not even call my sister by her given name, the one he (& mom) gave her! If we asked him our birth year he wouldn't know, he doesnt even know his own, God love him!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Family Ties said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! Downright snarky and loveable you are!

I don't want you to have a bad day today....so I am sending a truckload of naked men who can bake over to your house.

heheheh

*shining off my dimples* I gotta use that one...does it count if the dimples are on my butt? LOL

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Fertile Soul said...

lol Sunnie, you made laugh and smile. So you really got dimples on your butt? Yeah, you could shine them, i say ;)

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Kris said...

My mom can't remember my name. I'm alternately called my sister's name, my mom's sister's name, one of my nieces'names, sometimes one of my brothers' names... at least she hasn't called me the dog's name (yet).

Thanks for checking in on me. And I have just recently seen the book Baby Proof, but I hadn't the heart to pick it up and look at it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home