Thursday, April 06, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me

So a few weeks ago was my birthday. Yeah, happy birthday to me. It was on a Sunday. My mom calls me up to wish me a happy birthday and our conversation goes somewhat like:

Mom: Happy Birthday.
Me: Thank you
Mom: I called you yesterday (Saturday) at your work.
Me: I was at home.
Mom: I thought maybe you decided to work yesterday so I called you at work to invite you over for a birthday dinner.
Me: Oh, thanks, but i'm usually at home on the weekends and i went out with dh for my birthday.
Mom: Well, okay, then ... well, if you're still interested in a coming over for dinner ... let's see what time is it ... yeah, i guess i could put something together.
Me: No thanks, i'm not feeling well (because i was sick to my stomach on bcp).

Anyway, soooooooo, guess who's birthday is THIS weekend? C'mon ... need a clue? She was born 4 years after me. Yeah, that's right, my sister, who lives 2 hours away, while i'm a scant half hour from dear mom. But mom called me up to tell me that "It's your sister's birthday this weekend, you know, and i'm going up to visit her." And she says "you know" with such emphasis like i've been remiss somehow in not knowing, but i havent as i've already sent dear sis a gift , though i debated it because she sent me a card that said in its print what a good sister i was, blah, blah, blah, to which dear sis deigned to add "I couldnt have said it better myself. Happy Birthday." Thanks for taking the time for writing me such a heartfelt note, sis. Oh wait, thank you Hallmark for knowing how to express my sister's feelings. You saved her the bother.

But, but, but, i decided it doesnt matter what she sent (or did not) or said (or did not), what matters is how i choose to relate to her. And i was in the gift giving mood (or maybe it was the lupron).

I told my sister what happened, the conversation, the disparity, the unfairness, the fact that dm has TWO daughters who's birthdays should be celebrated. Sis said "I never noticed this." Nooooooooooooooooo, really? You, baby of the family who got all of mommy's attention never noticed when i wasnt? And therefore, what? It's not true???????? Which, yes, was what she was implying. I mean, if SHE didnt notice it, well, then, heh, it must not be true.

Anyway, dont know if she saw reason by the end of that conversation, and i usually dont point this stuff out to her. But she's not a baby anymore and i had a feeling that she never "saw" this going on, so i just had to point it out since it was going on now and she can stop saying "i never saw this." That bugs! I get no validation from dear mom, but to add injury to insult, DS is going to join her?

I told dh about it. He was INCENSED. LIVID. How could this be fair?

To me, it's life as usual.

But this morning, on our way to work, dh kissed my hand and said "happy birthday."

2 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about the mom stuff, but happy belated birthday! Best of luck with the cycle.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Happy Belated Birthday.

I've been thinking about you lately--- how go the Lupron shots?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home