Thursday, March 23, 2006

Injection Instruction

So i took the day off and i really needed it. The stomach ache got worse in the night, and i was really tired. To top things off, I havent had a cup of coffee since Sunday, and i havent gone without my morning coffee ritual since high school. You'd think i was pregnant or something. I'm really beginning to think that these are the effects of bcp. My body no likey.

Anyway, I did manage to get up and go to injection instruction class, albeit late. But they were okay about it. Dh and i both went. As dh tried his hand at mastering the technique of progesterone injections, he only stuck himself once, hehe. I know, i laugh now, but just wait until i'm on the receiving end of that needle. We'll see who's laughing (or crying).

In another 13 days (i think) i'm supposed to start lupron. The 21st day of bcp. I started on March 14. So, 21 plus 14 days puts me at ... oh ... hold up while i try some mental gymnastics and type at the same time ... ok, it turns out i cant. But according to the computer calendar it says April 4. Yippee! Then take that for one week. Then we start something else. See, i already forgot. That, and i still have a headache from yesterday that comes and goes.

But it's all good in the hood. They gave us a couple of dvds and a lot of instructions, in case we forget anything when the actual time to start injection rolls around in another 2 weeks. There's also a website and hotline for extra extra help, which we'll probably have on speed dial when the time comes.

We also finally handed in all of our consent forms. It turns out that it's just easier to sign in front of the nurse, than trying to find a notary instead. And i'd like to offer a little caveat emptor for those who need to sign those forms and havent read them yet ... um, like, they ask some serious soul searching questions. For instance, did you know that in the event of multiple pregnancies you have the option of terminating one or some? Did you know that? I didnt. Nor did i really want to contemplate it. But they do. So do you want to terminate any? Huh, huh, huh??? Oh, but it doesnt stop there. Then they ask in the event that you create viable embryoes, do you wanna freeze all the unused ones? And if one of you becomes incapacitated, what happens to the embryoes? And if you both become incapacitated, what happens? And, if you both divorce, who gets them? huh, huh, huh??? Answer me, or there's NO IVF FOR YOU!

Goodness, so, my word of forewarning is that those forms are not for the faint hearted. On the last questions, dh was like, "huh? what's this question? this isnt a question. i'm not answering this. The answer is no." Hehe. I said, "honey, i'm not asking for a divorce here, they just want to know who gets the goods in the off chance there is one. Me, you, or the garbage can? They just want some initials by any one of these boxes." After a short silence he says "you."

I lub him.

1 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger Kris said...

I also react badly to the bcp, which I'm about to start shortly. Looking so forward to that.

Those forms do suck. We actually didn't fill them out until we knew how many embryos we had. I argued we didn't need to make those decisions if we didn't have to. And, we actually didn't have to.

When you start your shots, numb the area with ice. They really aren't that bad- at least the "pre-IVF" ones aren't. I can't speak to the progesterone. I take that via suppositories, not shots. I think it's more the idea of the shot than the shot itself that's so bothersome.

The whole process seems more complicated and confusing from the outside than it really is once you are in it. It'll all be fine. I hope you're feeling better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home