Wednesday, February 22, 2006

My First Appointment :)

Sooooooo, i've been soooooooooooooo happy these past few days. I cant even believe that it's been more than a week since my last post. I'm still so excited about doing ivf. Weird! But so true. And i just want to tell everyone i know ALL ABOUT IT. Which, again, is weird because who gets excited about doing ivf? I never thought it possible. I never thought i would ever look forward to the doctor's visit on that one.

And i dont know what to do with all this excitement. It's a new experience for me. I think, on some level, i was more prepared to handle disappointment after the procedure. But this, this is all good and i find myself struggling to figure out how it's possible to be so happy about ivf. But i am.

And so in all this excitement, i've morphed into a fertility clinic stalker. Yup. I've been hounding my new fertility clinic for an earlier appointment, seeing if i could be seen sooner than March 15! God, that's SO FAR AWAY!!!

And then today, i got one. Yes! You see, how exciting that is!!! Wahoo. I got me my first appointment--at the early crack of 8 am. The RE was an hour late. No problemo, i was just soooooooooo happy that she would see me (errr, us, but me really, mememememememe). I didnt care if i had to camp there, i was gonna wait.

And i noticed in the waiting room ... NO PARENTING OR BABY MAGAZINES IN SIGHT!!! Yes, i like people who think. It's probably a common thing for fertility clinics not to have baby mags in the waiting area, but then again, i'm always amazed at how some people can just be so stupid. So you never know.

Then we met our RE. She was so nice and pleasant and friendly and ... EXCITED! She was so excited for us, which was nice, cuz her and i were instantaneously on the same wavelength ;)

The next step is ... drum roll please ... waiting for my period! Agugugugugug. I have never ever looked forward to seeing AF like today. And, AF aint due until March 11, or thereabouts. Then, it's one month of birth control, two weeks of follicle stimulations, then retrieval day, then fancy stuff in the lab, then implantation day a few days thereafter. All told, i could be taking an hpt by the end of april! Of course, it'll be one of those fancy schmancy hpt's done in the lab, i'm sure (but i dunno, i plead ignorance. Goes back to my theory about bliss and ignorance).

Anyway, my questions are (in no particular order):

1. Once you start the birth control, is it really 6 weeks until egg retrieval? I want to schedule vacation time, but i'm not sure which days to pick. And how many days?

2. Do you tell your boss you're doing ivf? My initial reaction is no, but now with all this excitement running in my veins, i dont know, it could be spill out.

3. What precisely do you do with all this excitement running in your veins, besides keeping it well fed on a celebratory diet of brownies and cookies and cakes? I'm too excited for work. Too excited to just sit here. I cant just sit here and do work like nothing special is going on! I'm planning an ivf!!!

5 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger GiBee said...

Goodness, gracious! Okay, first of all, I'll answer number two... in my humble opinion, you should not only tell your boss, but you should do it in a way that brings out their sympathy. Why? Because you will need him or her to be understanding and very supportive when you begin going to the RE's office every other day for testing and sonograms. You might need to slip in a little late from time to time, and it's best they know why so you don't have to keep lying or making up excuses.

Next, I'll answer number 3... IMSOEXCITEDFORYOUICANHARDLYCONTAINMYSELF. Ehem ... uh, there's not much more you can do but eat brownies and cookies and cake, and it already seems like you're all over that - yaaahooo!

No, number one - No. it isn't always the time they estimate it to be. It 'can' be, but then again, if you begin to produce too many follicles, or if they feel like things are going to fast, they WILL slow it down. Things get delayed all the time... and sometimes postponed/cancelled (which totally sucks). And, I've never seen them accelerate a cycle.

So that's why it's important to tell your boss ... because you just can't plan to go out on vacation and "whammo... It's done". You could tell them that you need to be off for about XX number of days sometime around the XX week of the month, but you won't know until the night before when you get the call from your RE's office.

Did any of this help? Make sense? Depress you?

I'm so excited and pulling for you!

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Fertile Soul said...

Excellent advice Gibee! I took it and ran to my boss. First i told my old boss (who got promotoed and is above my boss) because she's awesome. And she was really sympathetic about it. My new boss is a little stiff and would need the extra support from my old boss to "get it." But thanks for the advice because i really was thinking at first that i shouldnt say anything. But now it's like, who am i kidding!? First, there's way too much going on in the process for me to think i can quietly leave my office at odd hours for various appointments. Second, i'm too psyched about it!

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger GiBee said...

Good for you! It's wonderful to have someone at work in your corner ... especially if it's your boss's boss! Go, girl!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Donna said...

It really is refreshing to see someone so joyful about doing IVF. For most people its a last resort, a place they never thought they would need to go, etc. Having never done IVF, I am absolutely no help with #1, although based on the stories I've heard, its true a cycle hardly ever gets accelerated. I'm glad you told your boss, its always better to go with the truth and take it from there. On #3, keep that excitement going!!

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

After loads of secret treatment with IUI and stuff, I cracked and told my boss about the IVF. She was really sweet about it though I got pissed off having to explain everything in small words.

I had a level of comfort there though as she was really sympathetic (her sister had done IF treatment). I am not sure if it had been a bloke how I would have felt!

Anyhoo, excitement is good and it will keep you going through the boring parts, like the waiting and waiting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home