Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Secret

No, i aint holdin out on y'all. But, apparently, there is a "secret." Did y'all hear about this? According to this book, the secret to life is that "like attracts like." That is, whatever you want you can have, if you just think positively. If you think you can, you will. Whatever is in your life, is there because you willed it...

Ahem, aside from the fact that the book is written for a first grader, complete with large print and colored thick paper, i believe that i have completely debunked the theory that you can will into your life whatever you want so long as you "think" about it long enough. I thought about having children for more than 25 years, especially the last 15. Towards the end, i was thinking about it every single second of the every day. It was getting kind of clinical, and i didnt realize it until one day i suddenly couldnt breathe. I thought i was dying. After a rush to the emergency room and gazillion tests, it was nothing but a panic attack. The ER doctor pulled up a chair next to me and quietly asked "is there something bothering you?" No, nothing. I was fine. I wasnt stressed or unhappy. I had a good job. The only thing, if anything, is that i thought about having a baby ... Every. Single. Second.

So, i had to give that up. It was either that or stop breathing at random. And since having a baby was impossible anyway without basic inhalation and exhalation, i had to choose breathing. Selfish me.

The moral is, the Secret sucks (the book, that is). Yeah, it works (for others, i assume), but not always. It's not simply a matter of will it and so be it. That's oversimplifying the issue just a smidge, don't you think?

My husband returned the book to the bookstore. If you know us, you know that we would rather throw something away before we went through the hassle of returning anything. And, we are pack rats never throw anything away. When asked about the reason for the return, dh said, "It didn't work."

6 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger niobe said...

I haven't read the Secret and have no intention of doing so. But it sounds like it raises blaming the victim to the level of a philosophy. Like, if things didn't work out, you just must not have thought positively enough.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

Exactly, it sounds like 'it's all your own fault' repackaged. Nonsense.

It didn't work, lol.

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Pretty Kitty said...

I have wanted to win the lottery for quite some time now. Maybe I really don't want to win after all or I surely would have won by now.

It's amazing what gets published. I guess I must want to jab needles in my belly!

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Larisa said...

I hate the implication that I didn't want it enough or hope enough or whatever. Good reason on the return from your husband.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Kris said...

Stupid. If we don't get something it's because we don't want it enough. And then is the reverse true... if something bad happens is it because you secretly must have wanted it to?

I loved dh's reason for the return.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Ha! Perfect response. I've seen so much hype about this book and now that I know the real "secret" I think I'll keep my money. It's really a sad state of affairs when this book is a best-seller...the desperation a whole generation is feeling for things to just get better. Can I hear a kumbaya anybody?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home